Friday, February 26, 2016

more found objects

I've been hard at work this week trying to keep up with the flow of found objects over at Laura Shovan's blog.  It's true, though, that as with anything, the more you do it the easier it gets, so I did get in a rhythm this week.  Here are drafts of poems for Days 23-26 (all are © Heidi Mordhorst 2016), and thanks to Laura and all the participants for the inspiration!

Traffic Stop

rolling rolling rolling
carry me away
it is my right to copy
it is my right to read

rolling rolling rolling
with the cargo of the mind
defend my right to congregate
defend my right to read
                         officer, please
rolling rolling rolling
carry me on home
home to shelves and piles and stacks
home to libraries



nest

mudwattle
      stuccohung
bugspatter
      mossdangle
birdhuddle            home

we daren’t open that door





The action of attraction

There are screws that hold us tight
there are hooks on which we hang
there are locks that shut us in
there are keys that shoot our bolts

whichever way the waves rise
whichever way the wind blows
whichever way the ship rolls
whichever way the floor jolts

we’re shot, we’re shut, we’re hooked, we’re screwed
our brassy hearts hang hard and cold
waiting for a touch, a hand
waiting for the warmth of skin

and when it comes we leap to it!
we buzz with loosing, waking need
to staterooms, quarters, lockers, deck —
                                                                    and now the crossing can begin.



Sister Sun Sets You Straight

You thought the all-powerful
was a god?  A hot-blazing,
fire-roaring, staff-wielding god?
Helios Apollo Huitzilopochtli
Surya Toniatuh Ra--
                          ha!  I am goddess.

I do not blaze so much as simmer;
I do not roar so much as sing
(some say singe);
I do not wield a mighty staff;
I waft my hair of flame.
I coax the sweetness out with legendary heat:
from soil and branch, maple;
from stem and leaf, strawberry;
from pod and bean, chocolate.
(I do not claim the cookie dough.)

I forgive your errors--
my charms are hard to judge from lowly earth.
So every now and then I descend, all dulcet warmth
and eyelashes, to wink at humankind
from unexpected spots.
                         Don't forget the recycling.

**********************************
Laura's project is hosted today by Michael Ratcliffe, and our Poetry Friday host is Elizabeth Steinglass, who's prompting us to consider process (very appropriate for this Found Objects exercise).  See you there!




12 comments:

  1. You *are* on a roll. That last poem -- love the voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I have followed your poems for Laura's project with delight. Each one seems to be so unique. I have to say i love the one on the nest. I look forward to the last few poems of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They may not be finished but they are hardly mediocre! I especially love The action of attraction. It's such a great combination of repetition and juicy words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially love the language and rhythm of "nest." I had to read it aloud to hear it. The last line completes the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your unique and unusual responses to these, Heidi...especially in the case of my photo! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you play with words, Heidi! stuccohung, birdhuddle Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The repetition in Traffic Stop, the creative language in nest, the third stanza in The Action of Attraction, and every single line of Sister Sun Sets You Straight...so much to love in this week's worth of poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your poems for found objects. Such fun language in the nest poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So clever and each one so different. I'm especially taken with the key poem, and I also really enjoyed your loaded potato poem (read on Laura's site - Feb. 14). You're developing quite the poetic biceps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sister Sun Sets You Straight is fabulous! I've enjoyed so many of your poems on Laura Shovan's challenge--you clearly see the world with a poet's eyes. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - these are as diverse as they are wonderful. I think my favourite is the keys one. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, these are cool. I want to hear more from each different voice. Fabulous. Thank you for sharing them! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!